Henry John Ayres, Ba(Hons)
Phone: 01590 718200 • Mobile: 07971 670374 • Email: email@example.com
I am a hands-on technology leader with a proven track record in e-commerce, application and web technologies in local, regional and global platforms. I have many years of experience in line management of cross-functional teams and mentoring of software engineers. I have often been identified as someone people like to work for.
I have a proven set of communication skills that allow me to turn the tech talk into executive speak and love to interact with non-technical stakeholders. I engage very well with strategic partners, and I am a good ambassador for any company and technology I am involved in.
I have deep experience in High Availability, High Traffic, Scalable, and Low Latency delivery of dynamic content and services. I am adept at using the technical aspects of cloud, open source and diverse development techniques to deliver solutions on time and to budget.
With solid leadership skills and an advocate of the Agile development environment I have has been chief architect and lead developer and I am able to form a clear vision of how the technology stack should look. I have delivered a number of technical strategies and strategic reviews.
Senior Software Engineer: Switch concepts
November 2017 to May 2018
Working in the tech group responsible for the next gen software implementation of Switch Concepts tech stack. Writing the key API platform in GoLang. Switch Concepts software handles 9 billion ad actions per month.
- GoLang for all core platforms including database layer and API. PHP for legacy systems.
- MySQL as the data layer to drive all information
- Google Big Query to store large data sets of log level ad auction data
- API delivery using most recent state of the art techniques
- Google cloud service, gitlab, terraform and to deliver continuous integration
Technical Consultant Specialist: Ordnance Survey
March 2015 to November 2017
- Technical Consultant Specialist for Magento/PHP development. I am responsible for the day to day delivery, strategy and future development of the Magento ecommerce platform that forms a back bone of the OS user experience.
- Technical Consultant on web technologies and implementation in a modern environment
- Technical lead on the Magento ecommerce stack. Magento at OS has been extended greatly to do far more than simple ecommerce being used to control API’s, user log and entitlements to OS online Products
- PHP Frameworks, templates and libraries – Laravel, Symfony2
- Postgres, MySQL and Postgis
- Agile development evangelist and thought leader
Lead Software Engineer: GradeMaker Limited
Aug 2014 to Mar 2015
- Lead developer responsible for moving the development of the code base from the agency developers at MMTDigital in house. A chance to concentrate on new technologies and methods of delivery.
- Key PHP Frameworks, templates and libraries - Slim, Larevel, Twig, Blade, Symfony Libraries
- Continues deployment – Grunt, Bower, Composer, Git, Bitbucket, Jenkins, s3.
- Linux, Apcahe, AWS.
- MongoDB, ElasticSearch.
Chief Technology Officer and Lead Developer: AngloINFO Limited
Feb 2010 to Date
Act as Chief Architect and take sole responsibility for the global provision of IT Services, Product Development and Infrastructure at AngloINFO.
- Develop the new AngloINFO platform using LAMP, CodeIgnitor, Legacy Databases and AWS for delivery.
- Manage the central IT team spread across 3 countries and IT function to our teams in 46 different countries.
- Act as the chief architect and define all technology platforms and services in AngloINFO.
- Provide management and strategic-level leadership for the global delivery of technology.
- Redesigned the tech platform to allow growth to 25 million impressions per month and 3 million unique users.
- Provide direction on the choice and resourcing of a global VoIP platform and deliver.
- Deliver of new e-commerce user experience and platform integration into CRM.
- Design and develop new e-commerce products and services.
- Manage development of a publishing platform to enable our content across different media platforms.
- Hands on coding of SOLR search platform using same platform for stats delivery.
- Lead AngloINFO through PCI DSS 2.0 SAQ D Compliance.
IT Management consultant: Various Assignments
Jun 2008 to Feb 2010
Responsible for the provision of top-level IT consultancy services with a portfolio of clients, including advising on eLearning opportunities, eCommerce, website upgrades and development of eProcurement web portals
- Appointed on a short-term consultancy basis to work with a portfolio established & start-up businesses.
- Focused on delivery of enhanced IT, web & internet strategies, closely aligned to core business needs.
- Negotiated assignment / project terms-of-reference with client senior-level business management teams.
- Project planning, analysis, development, implementation and resource deployment management activities.
- Provided support on eCommerce in the UK for Young Digital Planet, advising on outsourcing of hosting.
- Delivered key note seminars and product demonstrations on behalf of Young Digital Planet at BETT 09.
- Led an upgrade to the Wellow Business Services website facility, using PHP and Mysql technologies.
- Developed an e-Procurement site for Chloride Power, the largest supplier of UPS solutions within the UK.
- Established a web-based portal for the retail / consumer sale of single phase UPS systems and solutions.
Chief Architect: Harcourt / Pearson
Jan 2006 to May 2008
Responsible for strategic IT, technology & product management within an educational sector business
- Appointed as Chief Architect & Head of Product Technologies, reporting to the CTO.
- Focused on delivering key enhancements to the hosting service of major online products and services.
- Member of the Product Technology Integration Team, championing group-wide cost-saving synergies.
- Provision of top-level IT, technical and product support for a network of 500+ internal users in Oxford.
- Leadership, management and control of three teams, directly controlling 12+ staff across the business.
- Acted as a mentor, overseeing production for an additional team of 14+ staff, based across two teams.
- Utilised software platforms and core technologies including C#.NET / ASP.NET and MSSQL Sever.
- Led in technology on negotiations with BBC Worldwide to use BBC-owned video content and material.
- Established and managed a cross-functional team to build and delivery online products and services.
- Managed entry-to-market and delivery of products, ensuring the timely delivery of products to budget.
- Successfully led the adoption of Agile (Scrum) development methodologies & quality assurance tools.
- Led definition of an eProduct technology strategy, communicating to board and integrating with ERP.
- Acted as CTO product division during sale and merger of Harcourt and Pearson.
Head of assessment Technologies: Harcourt Education
2004 to Dec 2005
Responsible for establishing a New technology group in a new assessment business within Harcourt Education
- Appointed to strategic-level IT role to champion opportunities in the UK computerized assessment market.
- Focused on day-to-day management of technology and new media teams, controlling a team of 5-8 staff.
- Monitored operational performance, systems capacity, budgetary controls, SLAs & internal KPI metrics.
- Effectively utilized a mix of ASP 2.0 and DOT.NET languages with a MSSQL server-based data platform.
- Managed the planning, evaluation, purchasing and implementation of required technology and services.
- Established relationships with key suppliers, leveraging vendor capabilities & delivering value for money.
Product Technologies Manager: Harcourt Education (REPP)
2001 to 2004
Responsible for leading recruitment of a strong team to develop test and support eLearning products
- Appointed as Chief Architect & Technical Strategist to the eLearning and online unit within Harcourt.
- Focused on leading development teams, effectively working on both outsource & bespoke products
- Successfully represented Harcourt at DfES working groups, BSI IST/43 and BECTA policy formulation
- Developed innovative ways to use common & widespread technologies via new content delivery tools
- Web Development Manager - JJ Interactive 2000 - 2001
- Internet Services and Programming Manager – Red Internet 1999 - 2000
- Project Manager – TWR Net, TWR Engineering
- Systems Analyst – Aerofone
- Car mechanic C&G level 4
Key Skills, Business Experience & Capabilities:
PHP, MySQL, XML, CSS, XHTML, CodIgnitor, LAMP, WAMP, SOLR, Cloud Computing, eCommerce, Agile, ERP / Back Office Systems, Technology and Service Partners, Vendor & Supplier Management, eLearning Products & Solutions, Data Standards, COL, IEEE LOM, IMS, Disaster Recovery Strategy Planning, Business Continuity Management, Business Process Re-engineering, Business Change Management
Qualifications, Accreditations and Professional Development
- CITP Chartered IT Professional & Member of the British Computer Society
- Certified Scrum Master – Agile Alliance
- BA (Hons) Business Studies – De Montfort University
- NEBSM NVQ III Certificate in Supervisory Management
- Effective communication & presentation skills
- Team leadership & team management methods
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster offshore commercial endorsed